Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I is for ice and igloos (Ick!) and ICE CREAM!

I words -- well, there's not that many of them, but it was still tough. Ice and igloos first came to mind, but I hate both of those -- not that I have any experience of igloos, but since they're made of ice and I don't like the cold, well, they both made me go ICK! (Hmmm, there must be an "I" theme here or something. Next thought is definitely one of my favorites, though -- ice cream! Yum! I was hung up on Haagen Daaz's special edition Bananas Foster all last year. I couldn't tell you how many cartons of that stuff I ate--every single night. But as usual with my food obsessions, I eventually tired of it, and actually gave my waistline a break and quit eating ice cream at all. Then it was Mint Chocolate Chip. I bought Strawberry for Easter and it's tasting pretty yum! But my favorite flavor that I can't find anymore is Lemon Custard. It's a delicate flavor of lemon. I remember it from childhood. Then Baskin Robbins carried it for a while, but that was a long time ago.

Another I that comes to mind is Imagination, or my lack of it when trying to picture scenes or characters in my mind when I read or write. It's why I do love heavy descriptions in a book I'm reading, because it helps me get a visual in my mind. And when I write, I usually only have a vague idea of what my characters look like, usually their faces are rather blank. I may pick out one characteristic to focus on, like eyes or a nose, and that's about it. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe the character would come more alive for me if I had a strong visual? But my characters are pretty alive for me, or their personalities anyway. What I have trouble with is physical actions, and maybe if I had a strong visual, I could imagine those better? Anyway, I do like how j_cheney has pictures for all her characters. If you like visuals for writing prompts, as I do, may I again suggest a site that has some really cool ones? http://www.writingprompts.us/

3 comments:

  1. I thought about igloos and ice cream too. I don't know anything about igloos but it was the first I word that came to mind. Not sure why.

    My favorite ice cream is Ben and Jerry's Phish Food. I try not to buy it though because I'll inhale the entire pint in one sitting and that's just waaaaaaay too many calories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know that feeling! But the temptation....!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam! Great letter I post. My favorite ice creams are strawberry cheesecake and the other one has pralines and caramel in it. Haven't had either in a long time because when they are in the house, I'll eat them until they are gone. For me it is better to pass on the temptation.

    Susanne
    PUTTING WORDS DOWN ON PAPER

    ReplyDelete