Friday, April 6, 2012

F is for Family and Friends

F is for Family and Friends

The two most important things in life. Family and friends. All the rest doesn't really matter. I could do without a lot of things in life, but never without my family. The best satisfaction and pleasure in life comes from close relationships. I realize that some families don't come with the best relationship, but in that case, then friends can step in to fill that gap.

I had dinner last week with two old friends. We've known each other since second grade. One of the girls was my very best friend for many years. We went through quite a stretch in our 20's and 30's where we didn't see each other very often, as we were all busy getting married, or being single, or having kids, or being single. But we finally did start making a point of getting together every so often for dinner. I remember I was a little nervous the first time, but it turned out to be as comfortable and familiar as a well-worn pair of gloves, it was like we'd never been apart. We grew up in a small town, and there was a group of about 10 of us that were great friends from grammar school onward. We'd switch off every so often as to who was "best friends" with each other, but as a group, we were always together. We had a lot of fun together, and the memories are precious. Two and a half years ago, I lost the other of my very best friends, and it's still hard to think she's gone. I dreamed of her just the other night.

Then, on the other hand, I have a "new" friend, which is how I think of her. We've been walking together every day since our kids were in second grade. And they're 31 now, so that's a lot of miles on our feet and words from our mouths. We talk about our day, gripe about our husbands and kids, and are each other's private therapists.

4 comments:

  1. Your "new" friendship has lasted a long time! I always think it is great when I see old friends and we can still laugh and joke like old times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you are able to get together with friends that you grew up with. I've lost track of all my old school friends. it's great that you and your "new" friend are able to share so much.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is awesome, in both cases!

    ReplyDelete