Wednesday, April 4, 2012

D is for Dance

I had a tough time thinking of a D word. Dance was the first one that came to mind, but how could I blog about dance? Then I remembered Lee Ann Womack's song, "I Hope You Dance." Certain lines in that song move me, but one in particular: "And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."

It reminds me not to let life pass me by. I have a tendency to sit back and not try, mainly in order to avoid failure. Seems some people accept failure as a part of life, and don't let it bother them much, but I'm not one. While I can intellectually understand the truth of the concept, it's just a part of my personality to care too deeply and be too sensitive about many things, but especially failure.

Life is a learning process, and we all have faults and weaknesses, but that doesn't mean we have to accept them. We can change.

Today, I read an interview with Michael J. Fox, who has lived with Parkinson's for many years now. What a positive attitude he has toward the hardship life dealt him. He said, "I'm powerless over this, but I have things I can do." He made a choice to have some control over his disease by choosing to fight, to accept, and to live as best he could. He said he gave this advice to his kids: "When you go out the door in the morning, choose happiness."

I had a couple of stories rejected last week, and as is my usual wont, I immediately told myself I'm an awful writer and it's time to quit. This is my usual process, and I'll hide away for awhile, eventually forget about it, and get back to business. But I lose a lot of precious time during this down time, and Lord knows I'm not getting any younger. So today, I'm choosing to move forward. I can't control what an editor thinks of my stories, but I can control my attitude. I can't get an acceptance if I don't submit. I can't improve my writing I I don't write more and learn from my failures. I can choose a positive attitude. I can choose happiness every morning. I can choose to not sit out and whine.

I can dance. And I hope you dance, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment