Sunday, May 6, 2012

A Happy and Surprising Find

I have set out on a new course. Or, I should say, not new, but resuming what I dropped the ball on. From July 26, 2008 until March 15, 2010, I wrote every single day. Yep. 596 days straight of at least 100 words a day. In that time, I wrote about 240,000 words. But during the last month, I was getting really burned out and going through the motions by only writing 100 words per day. So one thing led to another and I slowed and eventually came to a complete halt. I had a spreadsheet tracking my progress, but I quit keeping track as my initiative slowed to a stop. So last week, when I decided it was high time I got back on that writing horse, I opened up my spreadsheet and started in again. I'm not going to try to re-create my writing every single day. I don't have a firm goal yet, as a matter of fact, but I'm toying with the idea of a monthly/weekly goal instead of daily. Although, writing daily works for me, because it keeps me in the habit. Nevertheless, I've spent this morning brushing the cobwebs off my spreadsheet. And I realized all those blank lines from Jan. 2011 to present day weren't *really* blank, because I have continued to do the flash challenges at Liberty Hall. So I went back today and entered all those stories in my spreadsheet. Then I opened each story to get the word count. And guess what I found? There are lots of gems in those stories that I didn't think were worth finishing. I haven't started a "new" story in probably a year -- or so I thought, until I reminded myself of those flash challenges. See, we write using a prompt and a timer, for 90 minutes, and then turn in the "finished" flash story. Except I'm famous for not finishing, because I have a hard time wriitng a flash story. Every once in a while, I'll get on that can end in 1000 words, but often, it's the beginning of a longer story. But I've never finished them because I never think they're worth finishing. But maybe what I'm judging them on is how they compared to the other stories of the week, which is usually now great. But today I realized that I need to judge them by what's started happening in the story, and I bet I can finish quite a few of them. Now I'm all jazzed that while I thought I had a dearth of stories to work from/with, I actually have a lot. They can't all be rescued, of course, but there's a few gems in there. I love discovering things like that. So now I can go from not thinking I had a story to work on every day to realizing I have quite a few.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pam. CONGRATS on 596 days straight of writing! That is something to be proud of. Glad to hear you have found some diamonds in the rough in all those flash stories you wrote. Have fun working on them.

    ReplyDelete